The increasing industrialization of the 19th century also provided an economic boost in Cottbus and Lusatia. The development of the railway has made the city an important transportation hub in the region. Many trades were re-established. In addition to the Cottbus cloth factories, the Baumkuchenbäckerei also began.
It was Maria Groch who founded the now long tradition around 1819. In a horribly cold night of the pre-Christmas period of 1819, she baked the first Cottbus cake in her bakery.
Over an open flame, the dough was applied layer by layer on a rotating roller, the individual layers were formed with a wooden comb and, after cooling, coated with a thin layer of icing and a hint of lemon.
“4 pounds of butter, 4 pounds of sugar, pounded and sieved, 3 pounds of cornflour, 50 pieces of eggs, grated peel and juice of 4 lemons, 3 bars of vanilla, 3/4 pound peeled, grated sweet almonds, 1/4 bitter almonds and a bit of salt”
The first Cottbus Baumkuchen, a Sugar Glazed Baumkuchen, had seen the light of day. Her daughter Wilhelmine Kluge perfected the production of the Cottbus Baumkuchen until the end of the 19th century. In the year of her death in 1886, she was awarded the title of “Imperial Court Supplier”.