In a horribly cold night of the pre-Christmas period of 1819, Maria Groch baked the first Cottbus Baumkuchen in her bakery.
Over an open flame, the dough was applied layer by layer on a rotating roller, the individual layers were formed with a wooden comb and, after cooling, coated with a thin layer of icing and a hint of lemon.
She used “4 pounds of butter, 4 pounds of sugar, self-pounded and sieved, 3 pounds of cornflour, 50 pieces of eggs, grated peel and juice of 4 lemons, 3 bars of vanilla, 3/4 pound peeled, grated sweet almonds, 1 / 4 bitter almonds and a little salt”.
The Cottbus Baumkuchen had seen the light of day. Her daughter Wilhelmine Kluge perfected the production of the Cottbus Baumkuchen until the end of the 19th century. In the year of her death in 1886, she was awarded the title of “Imperial Court Supplier”.